CLIMATE IN THE ISLAND OF RHODES
Lindos is rich in history. It is the most important
archaeological site in Rhodes.
Lindos is built around a hill crowned by the Acropolis. The Dorians,
RHODES BUS SCHEDULE
to Rhodes from the Region of Argos on the mainland of Greece, colonized
Rhodes including the South East Aegean. The Dorians formed autonomous states,
three of which were on Rhodes. The three states on Rhodes were Lindos, Ialyssos
and Kamiros. Lindos, including the other two Dorian states, became the center of
maritime trade around the 8th century B.C. and their economic
development was swift.
Lindos began to take a leading role in commerce between the East, Attica and
Lindos surrounded by sea Lindos was also a sea-faring city. However, with the
settlement of the City of Rhodes in 407-408 B.C. the financial and political
of Lindos began to diminish.
In the first half of the 6th century B.C. Lindos
was ruled for forty years by Kleoboulos,
one of the seven sages of the ancient era. During his rule he undertook
infrastructures such as the underground aqueduct dug through the mountain rock,
and the Temple of Athena. The aqueduct
was dug through the mountain rock
located across the Acropolis. The locals call
the area “Krana”. The aqueduct
which pours water continuously up to this day,
was the only source of water supply
for the village until a water public water
distribution system was built in the 1970s.
Apparently, the temple that we see
today on the Acropolis was the one rebuilt in 342A.D.
when the first burnt down.
The present temple was built with the propylae, the monumental
the Hellenistic stoa.
In 1307 the Knights of St. John seized Lindos. The Order of the Knights of
was founded as a charitable brotherhood in Jerusalem by merchants from Italy who
were resident in the Holy City. In 1099 the Crusaders took Jerusalem and the
gained strength from the military and the Church. In 1187 the Knights were
first to northern Palestine, and then they spent 18 years in Cyprus before
Rhodes. The Knights
ruled Rhodes for 213 years and became a remarkable period
in Rhodian history. Under the Knights command, great houses, churches and
fortifications were built. Trade and prosperity were the order of the day.
The wall or fortification of the Acropolis of Lindos as we see it today was
built by the Knights of St. John during that period. The Knights lost their
on the island, after a long siege, to Suleiman the Magnificent in 1522. They
forced to leave and took up a new home on the island of Malta.
An excavation on the Acropolis of Lindos was first carried out by the Danish
| archaeologists K.F. Kinch and C. Blinkenberg between the years 1902 and 1905.
Initial research was centered on the Temple of Athena and then on the
Numerous objects from the Acropolis of Lindos can now be found in the museums of
Copenhagen and Istanbul. After 1905 restoration of the Acropolis remained
until the Italians occupied the island in 1912. A major research and restoration
of the Acropolis of Lindos was started in 1985 and funded by Greek Ministry of
and European Community. This restoration is ongoing today.
Lindos is one of the island’s main tourist attractions.
This picturesque village has
captured the hearts of all who visit it. With its preserved medieval character
with an Acropolis, complete with an archaeological site and medieval
Lindos has been declared a national landmark. Walking through its narrow cobbled
streets is like walking back in time. Many of the buildings have survived since
15th century. No automobiles are allowed in the village streets and
any upgrades to
buildings must only be carried out with the approval of the responsible
Lindos has many houses dated from the 16th, 17th and 18th
century and known as
“Captains” houses. The architecture and decoration of these houses is unique to Lindos.
Acropolis is approximately a triangular rock that is
166 meters high. From the
Acropolis we have a wonderful view of the two natural harbours and the beaches.
largest and to the east of the Acropolis is called “ Megalos Yialos”(Large sea)
smaller to the west of the Acropolis is called “Ayios Pavlos”(St. Paul). The
named after Saint Paul the Apostle who visited the area to spread Christianity
If you are looking for a great beach, you don’t have to look far.
There is one
large and one small sandy beach at the main harbour and another at Ayios Pavlos.
Relax and enjoy the sun and the sea. The island is sunny eight months of the
Weather forecasts are not needed.